Posts Tagged ‘dress’

Following the completion of the Anna Tunic I was feeling inspired to crack on with more items for the Summer wardrobe! This is the dress I promised myself I would make using the seersucker fabric I bought in Harrogate. It’s a version of the Simplicity 2591. I’m also keen on the cap sleeve variation, but thought that a tad ambitious, particularly as I wasn’t confident I’d gone for the correct sizing. I quite possibly spent hours debating what size to make. To further complicate things, I’m not a standard dress size, so it wasn’t a case of debating one size, but 2- one for the bodice and one for the skirt. Simplicity seem to build in a *ridiculous* amount of ease into their finished garments- which I had guessed before starting, but has now been confirmed.

I’m over the moon with the bodice. This was my first ever attempt at creating darts, and it has resulted in a perfectly fitting bodice- which I could easily re-use and attach to other skirts if I was feeling ambitious! However, I’m less than happy with the skirt 😦 I opted for the size 12 skirt, but with hindsight would definitely have gone 1 size, if not 2 smaller. With off the peg skirts, I’m a size 10 waist, but the Simplicity measurements had me at a 14- just crazy! Anyway, what I’ve found is that the finished skirt is just too full at the front. The gathering in the centre causes the fabric to hang in a big pleat, which looks really odd. I’ve tried pressing it in a way to alleviate this, but to no avail. I’m determined to wear it though, so will just have to live with it I guess!

Oh, and I’ve been paranoid that it looks like a nurse’s uniform. somebody please tell me it doesn’t. Even if it does.

And apologies for the lack of full length photos, I really struggle with self-photography!

Read Full Post »